Pages

Thursday 6 August 2015

the inherent problem with therapy

I have a new therapist. Today was my second session with her. I like her. She has a nice voice - it's strong and confident. I'm not keen on the wispy, I'm-going-to-hypnotise-you type voice so many affect. But as with all therapists, you're basically inviting them to give their opinions on your life. You place yourself in the horribly vulnerable position of telling them your most secret secrets - and they give you their opinion.

And no matter what they say - you invited it. It's for your own good.

"If you die, it will shatter the lives of your children."

Thanks. I did actually know that. But thanks for being so unnecessarily cruel.

They then get to say things like "well I'm not going to sugar coat it", "you need to hear the facts", "I need to be honest with you". Apparently the fact that I am so distressed that I have actually voluntarily come to therapy means that I asked for it. Surely the fact that I am this distressed would mean that a little sugar coating was in order? Perhaps we could have the honest forthright discussions when I'm feeling less fragile? Perhaps if you're worried about me self harming or restricting, then piling on the guilt 5 minutes before the end of the session is not the best way to go?

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I'm confused now on what to do next. Do I cancel my next appointment or try again. She did apologise after I told her that she hurt me - that's something. They don't always apologise.

Sigh. I won't make any decisions tonight. Time to just sleep on it.

1 comment:

HikerRD said...

Stick with it please.