Pages

Saturday 27 August 2011

sound bites from the ANZAED conference

I had the most amazing experience at the ANZAED* conference! In all my years of uni lectures and scientific/medical conferences and even blogging conferences I have always been the quiet one. Never raised my hand. Never asked a question. So imagine my surprise in a conference room filled with highly experienced ED clinicians to suddenly find my voice. And it didn't just happen once either - seriously, you couldn't shut me up! And interestingly I had quite a few people coming up to me at the end of sessions saying things like "I'm so glad you asked that question, I was wondering the same thing" - honestly, don't encourage me people, heavens knows where it will lead...

But this post is supposed to be about some sound bites I gleaned from the wonderful presenters on the first day**. So here are a few little gems that really stuck in my mind - and the bigger gems I will blog about in some follow up posts:

1. The majority of people in the community with an eating disorder do not access evidence-based treatment. Far more people access treatment for weight loss. (1)

2. Compulsive exercise is predictive of relapse and poor long-term outcome. (2)

3. Specific foods can optimise the process of recovery. (3) (don't worry, I won't leave it there - I will do a post on this one!)

4. All clinicians should research their own practice...[because] patients have the right to know your success rates. (4)

5. when clinicians give feedback on a patient's progress [good and bad] it improves outcomes - just knowing and discussing progress improves outcomes.(4)


Over all I was incredibly impressed with the level of professionalism, empathy and passion shown by the clinicians whose presentations I attended.

By far the highlight was June Alexander's presentation!!!

But I also met some amazing, inspiring, generous, kind and wonderful people such as Carolin Gray and Bridget Bonnin from FEAST, Christine Morgan from the Butterfly Foundation, Claire Diffey from CEED, and the extremely affable Rod McClymot.

I can't tell you how scary it was going to the conference. It felt like my first real 'public outing'. But I'm so glad I went. And I feel stronger and braver for the experience.




*Australian and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders
** sadly I could only go for the first day (friday 26Aug)
(1.Phillipa Hay, 2. Caroline Meyer 3. Leanne Barron 4. Anthea Fursland)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud and inspired by you, firstly for going to the conference but also for finding your voice and asking the important questions. You are an amazing advocate. I can't wait to read and learn from your experience.

Poppy xo

Felicity said...

Wowee, there was SO much in this post!

* What a wonderful outcome for your risk-takings [attending the conference and then raising your hand to ask a question] - love it!

* Really interested in your 'sound bytes' and look forward to the follow ups

* Am off to explore the links you have thoughtfully provided.

Big cheers from me Gorgeous,

xx

PlanningQueen said...

Super congrats to you! Glad you got so much out of it. Look fwd to reading more about it too. Ace that you asked so many questions! xx

Rosie said...

I loved this post-- loved hearing about your finding your voice and asking for what you needed to know and also loved reading this tidbits and look forward to learning more in future posts. Thanks so much for sharing! Another quick thought- I'm totally appalled that you've been unwelcome in weightstigma discussions. I'm of your thinking and am so, so sorry that you've had this experience.

Sending you hugs, sweet friend.

HikerRD said...

Good for you for getting the resources first hand! You're inspiring me to attend AED in TX in May.

I will need to read the reference for giving feedback on progress. My gut is that clearly helping alleviate the anxiety of not knowing where we stand is critical. But it's such a slippery slope with feedback--the ED mind can hear even well-intended, clearly stated supportive statements as failing--at the eating disorder.

Looking forward to processing all the info you shared. Thanks!