Thursday, 25 August 2011

I don't count because I'm thin?



I've noticed something recently on twitter.

That I'm not allowed to join in conversations which involve discussions about being overweight.

And this actually ticks me off. My theory on the whole matter of eating disorders and disordered eating is that it's all doing 'funny stuff' with food. Anorexia and obesity, as I see it, are really just two sides of the same coin.

I have been shut down, rudely responded to and outright ignored several times recently during the #weightstigma discussions. Apparently it's okay to exclude me because I'm currently underweight. Apparently that makes my thoughts, opinions and feelings meaningless. Apparently everyone else is an expert on my history and experiences.

I find the double standard interesting to say the least.

I would never judge someone based on their weight. But I notice I get a lot of judgement thrown my way based on mine.

Food for thought I say...

3 comments:

spiritedladyliving said...

That's odd how that works isn't. I totally agree, one food obsession is just like another, we all just respond differently!! Thanks for posting that!

HikerRD said...

Similarly, I've been attacked for my comments on blogs targeting the HAES population, due to some readers' projections about me and my thoughts. Their defenses are up, like with any who feel vulnerable. I suspect they are not nearly as far along in their treatment as you, PJ!

Kat said...

I've noticed this trend for both thinness and anything to do with poverty... Just because you might not currently be (or maybe never have been) either doesn't mean you have some insight or different way of thinking of things. A different perspective that could be beneficial and add something.

Don't let your voice be silenced.